HOME Discovering

Government Agencies

Did you know that more than half of speech language pathologists are employed in educational program settings? Even counting part-time employees, less than one in five are employed in private practice. Local, state, and federal government agencies employ significant numbers of qualified SLPs in the labor market today. Most of these work for state governments. Besides school districts, many of them are involved in public health departments. There they offer services for individuals with communication disorders, as well as consultative and contractual services. These represent the majority of SLPs working today.

There are others, of course, working for federal agencies such as the uniformed services. Clinicians and research scientists are employed by the US Air Force, Army, Navy, and the US Public Health Services. They make their services available to active military, veterans, and underserved populations.

Federal Resources for Speech-Language Pathology Services

Almost four in ten SLPs are employed in health care settings. Acute care, rehabilitation, and psychiatric hospitals may offer speech and language services. They may have inpatient or outpatient resources available. Some, such as VA or military hospitals, may be reserved for agencies of the United States Government and members’ families. The VA’s National Audiology and Speech Pathology Service provides comprehensive clinical services to veterans with hearing, speech, language, voice, and swallowing disorders. If you’re uncertain as to your personal eligibility, the phone number for the VA Health Benefits Center is toll-free: 1-877-222-8387. There is also the government site for the Veterans Health Administration.

If you’re looking for trustworthy government websites out there to learn more about speech pathology and audiology resources, Lynne Alba Speech Therapy Solutions can offer a substantial list with contact information, as follows:

Montreal Web DesignerWeb Design Company Montreal